Friday 24 February 2012

A lovely surprise for me and a bitter disappointment for him


I visited a friend (and workmate) today and also saw, briefly, her little boy.  Her little boy was not impressed with me at all – and I’m not even bald yet!  Actually the poor little sausage had just woken up and I don’t think having a mad stranger looming over him was his idea of fun.

Anyway the daft herberts at work had got me a card and a very generous present – a Kindle, which I’ve no doubt will be really useful for long waits at hospital and also make for much easier reading in bed.  I’m delighted with it.  You shouldn’t have, but I’m glad you did.  Ta all! 

They also got me an Easter egg.  When the other-half rang to arrange to collect me from my visit I told him I’d got a brilliant present and told him about the egg first.  This is not as bizarre as it sounds.  He has the type of chocolate addiction which really warrants some kind of intervention (if I cared enough to be bothered to stage one) but zero interest in technology.  I then told him about the Kindle and was surprised that he sounded quite keen.  When we got home and I unpacked the presents, he was devastated.  He’d misheard and was expecting me to unpack a bag full to overflowing with Kinder eggs.  He’s a strange one.

And now an update on the wacky, wacky world of hospital appointments.  After yesterday’s news that my first lot of chemo was scheduled two weeks later than promised I rang every one I could think of at the hospital who might be able to help.  I also shook my fist at the sky, walked around muttering and generally sulked.  Anyway, fingers crossed, some or all of my reactions seemed to have worked.  The nurse, oncologist and breast consultant are apparently teaming up to get my appointment moved forward.  I should (at the risk of tempting fate) be given a new and earlier appointment date on Monday.  Stay tuned.  Please.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the new appointment!
    I've been holding out on getting a Kindle or one of its kind until they bring out one that smells like books. That was until I found out our libraries are going to loan out books via these devices and you can borrow without having to leave the house! Hope yours are doing this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh lovely hermiting potential for free then. Sounds good to me.

      Delete
  2. hi della, keep badgering them for all you're worth, the more noise you make the more they want you dealt with and out of their hair.
    I will email you with my news meagre though it is.
    maybe herbert could have a chocolate drip while you are having your chemo??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello you! Hope you are on the mend now after all that bracing sea air.

      Never fear I will be back on the 'phone on Monday morning politely 'reminding' the hospital of their promises.

      Delete